Fall is here! That also means flu season is here...
Did you know these ghastly flu facts?
- In the US, flu season can start as early as October and last until May.
- After receiving the flu shot, it takes about two weeks for your body to develop the antibodies that protect against the flu.
- For some, contracting the flu can lead to hospitalization and/or even death. Harvard Medical School reports that more than 200,000 people are hospitalized and 36,000 die each year from the flu in the US.
- Flu-related complications can include bronchitis and pneumonia. The flu can make chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, and heart and lung disease worse.
- Those who are at high risk for serious flu complications include: children less than 5 years old (especially children less than 2 years), adults 65+ years old, nursing home and other long-term care facility residents, and individuals with certain chronic conditions.
- You CANNOT contract...