Tips For Picky Eaters
Aug 15, 2018
Do you have picky eaters in the home? Or are you a bit of a picky eater?
Sometimes it’s difficult to eat healthy if you or those you are feeding don’t like a lot of different foods (especially fruits and vegetables). This can be discouraging and is often something people feel is a barrier to cooking healthier foods.
Today I want to share just 3 tips you can apply to help with picky eaters!
Tip #1: Prepare The Food Differently
- A great way to prepare vegetables differently is to roast, grill or steam them!
- Chop them differently. This may seem simple but it works! A few years ago, I found myself so busy I was often turning to baby carrots to help me up my number of vegetable servings per day. Unfortunately, I got sick of eating them so much. However, I found that if I chopped them up into smaller pieces (so they looked like miniature coins) I could eat them so much easier!
Tip #2: Put A Face On It - Make It Playful
It’s surprising what a face and some fun can do for picky eaters! It helps turn regular food into something fun! Here are a couple of ways you can apply this tip:
- Prepare your veggies in the shape of a face.
- Put Mickey Mouse ears on your pancakes or make a face on the pancake!
- Remember it doesn’t just have to be a face! You can do something like “ants on a log” with celery, peanut butter and raisins.
Just try to make it exciting for that picky eater!
Tip #3: Offer Variety & “I Choose, You Choose”
When you offer variety, you can set a rule that you get to choose some of the things they need to eat, and they get to choose some as well.
- This could look like bagel pizza or Hawaiian haystacks. For each of the meals, you choose some of their ingredients and they choose some.
- Variety and letting the picky eater choose helps them have autonomy but also expands the foods they may not regularly eat.
Join hundreds of other subscribers and get access to our free, awesome weekly content on health and wellness topics!